Carburetor problem

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Carburetor problem
From: waclarke@twcny.rr.com
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:19:08 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello,
I have a problem with a Carter 500 (BGT 4.2 Buick) flooding over in autocross
events that I am trying to solve.  I am hoping someone on this list may have an
idea.

The problem seems to be gas pooling in the intake and progressively getting
worse during subsequent runs.  It became quite evident after the purchase of
some racing tires.  I suspect it is because the braking is much more severe.  I
dont think its from cornering since the narrow width of the bowl on the sides
seems to be optimum for cornering.

The roughness and black smoke as a result of this condition clears up after
getting out on the highway and running with the secondaries open for awhile.
Then its good for another run as well as running great in all other
circumstances.

I have tried lowering the float levels.  I also tried to adapt a Holley 390 but
changed my mind because of the complexities.

I'm thinking about fuel injection for next year so my objective is to try to
modify this carburetor for now.  Any suggestions?