Re: which top to use?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net, CraigFaubel@aol.com
Subject: Re: which top to use?
From: match@ece.utah.edu
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:51:01 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
On 18 Aug 2004 at 17:47, CraigFaubel@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 71 B project car and both types of convertible top frames.   I'm
> putting it together now (still) and I need to decide on one frame.   I've
>never
> put up the top on a MGB so I'd like ideas on which one to use.   Which is
> easier to operate, more convenient, etc?

Do you mean detachable stow-it-in-the-boot vs. non-detachable
fold-it-down-behind-
the-seats? I've only used the later and it's real convenient, but I intend to
try the
detachable, so I can leave it home in the Summer  :-)   and because the car
looks a bit
"cleaner" with the top removed completely.

Then again, it would be no fun dragging the top out of the boot in a downpour,
and the
non-detachable works very well. We'll see which I like best.

> Also - what is it with the 'header rail installation' when putting on a new
> top?  I see a substantial increase in cost for pre-installed.  Is it  really
> that hard or is this just paying for simple  convenience?

IMHO you're paying for convenience, and I think you can end up with a better
fit if you
attach it to the header rail yourself. I've re-done the top on my car twice,
niether time did
I use a top kit with a pre-installed header. It's just no big deal, if you're
careful and take
your time.

Plan on a whole afternoon on a warm sunny day. Unbox the new top and install it
on the
frame, but then let it set on the car in the sun for a few hours to "breath" so
the new
fabric will be nice and pliable and un-wrinkled before you attach it to the
header. Move it
around on the frame some while it's warm so that you get a feel for how to
center it, and
to relieve any stretches or puckering, then pull the car into some shade, do at
least one
more trial fit while the fabric cools before glueing it to the header rail, to
decide exactly
what is the "just right" tension. Most first-timer set them too tight.

Marvin