I about burned up two MGs today!

To: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>, MGs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: I about burned up two MGs today!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:15:27 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I about burned up two of my MGs today! While trying to time the '86 Corvette I suddenly had flames shooting up out of the engine compartment over the windshield!!! This is a car that I had bout a few months ago that needed a little work on it, I had fixed a vacuum leak on the intake and knocked the timing way off because the distributor was loose - so my project today was to time it. I was sitting inside the car at the time letting it idle when all of the sudden all of flames just started shooting up from between the engine and the firewall. I shut the car off and jumped out  the flames kept shooting up and were licking over the windshield where I had my service sitting. I couldnt move the car because it was trapped by other vehicles. I thought (hoped!!!) I had a fire extinguisher in the garage. I first glanced over by my welding torch (since I usually grab the extinguisher when I am using the torch), didnt see it there, so I walked over to the pedestrian door in to the garage since I vaguely remembered keeping it there. I moved two folding chairs and fortunately it was behind them. I have never used a fire extinguisher before, though Ive seen the drill before, and this is a real old one  one of several that I had picked up at an auction about twelve years ago so I hoped that it would work. It is an ABC model and does have a gauge, which I check and has always been in the green zone. I walked right up to the car, pointed the hose at the fire and gave it a shot from the passenger side, to my surprise it knocked the fire right down  even though it seemed to be burning stronger on the other side. However it flared right up again, I walked around to the other side and gave it a good shot and that knocked it down for good  I though I would have to give it a shot from underneath but that didnt turn out to be needed. It doesnt look to have hurt the car at all, except for powder everywhere from the extinguisher, which I could hardly believe, given the size of the flames. That was fortunate since I dont have the Vette insured. Plus it was parked between two of my MGs (a 54 TF1500 RHD and a 78 MGB with a Buick 215 V8 installed) and nose to nose with my daily driver 01 Camaro SS that is parked under my 70 350 hp 4-speed Corvette convertible! Not to mention the racing Kart I just bought my daughter was right behind the 86 Corvette plus the garage is full of car parts and my woodworking and automotive tools. I guess the moral of the story is to have a fire extinguisher handy any time you are working on a car  even when you dont expect to need it. Plus make sure it isnt one of those little dinky cheap ones  one of those would not have had enough charge to put this fire out  I dont know what the rating is on this extinguisher  I guess that it is too old for that type of rating other than saying it weighs 14 lbs. So I guess that I can give thanks, on this Thanksgiving holiday, that I didnt panic and I had what I needed to put the fire out  plus I was about ready to walk in to the house, while leaving the car idling (the house is a couple of hundred feet from the garage) and get my wife to help set the timing (hold her foot on the brake while the Vette was in gear), so fortunately the fire started while I was still in the garage  otherwise everything would have gone up in smoke. I dont know what started the fire, I had a big piece of cardboard under the car to catch oil leaks and that all burned up  in fact I think that was the main thing that was burning, Im wondering if I had a fuel leak  I thought I smelled gas when I was trying to start it yesterday  that got down on the cardboard and the vapors caught fire. Oh well alls well that ends well  Im just glad I had the fire extinguisher handy!

Take care all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Kevin Brown '54 MGTF 1500 RHD, '78 MGB V8, '71 MGB, '66 MGBGT V8

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.