Re: Penetrating oil

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Penetrating oil
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:42:02 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Barrie,
I think wax (or parrafin, as you Brits say) mixed with kerosine (white gas) will produce a similar product.... or is that the recipe for Napalm? I always get the two confused. Now let me dig a little further... Do you want a true penetrating oil (something with such a low viscosity and surface tension that it creeps into the tiniest of cracks and loosens rust but really doesn't hang around all that long (like Kroil (which is magic, in my book. Also great for cleaning out rifle bores)) or are you looking for something with just enough penetrating properties to seal a cavity or seam for the long term? If you are looking for the latter, I'll dig out the name of a product I bought based on the results of a university study (I used to have that study, and in fact I think I once posted a link to it, but I don't know how to search the archives, and lost my copy due to a hard-drive failure). Waxoyl works fine for this purpose, too, although it doesn't penetrate all that much.

Kroil is great stuff, even at $70.00. I guarantee you'll find many other purposes for it. It allowed me to get many a spark-plug out of an aluminum head, without striping the threads, and it helped me take a barrell off of an M1 Garand that had been in place since Hitler annexed the Sudatenland. Many match shooters use it to get the toughest fouling out of their rifle barrels, and these guys are concerned about 1 inch of accuracy at 1000 yards. Again, I don't regret a single penny I spent on my gallon.
JJJ

Barrie Robinson wrote:

I want to soak the inside of my sills (cills?) with oily stuff but Rust Check will not sell me a few litres, Krone wants $70! So, anyone know how to make penetrating oil? Perhaps mix engine oil with toluene, acetone or kerosene or what?

A lister once mentioned filling the cavities and then draining - then using the liquid to do the next ones

Barrie Robinson
705-721-9060
MGB GT V8 in the making
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII in the wings

Purveyor of O-ring kits for Smith and Jaeger gauges
------- and of stainless steel mesh grilles for MGBs
------- and of bitumastic soundproofing