Re: Exhaust header gaskets

To: "Larry Hoy" <forumaccount@gmail.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust header gaskets
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:25:02 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In the past I've found three different types:

Single, relatively thick, metal both sides of a composition core.  A bit of
a fiddle to fit but the thickness gives 'crushability' to cope with the
warping of the mild steel (at least) manifold pipes after some use, tends to
reduce the already small clearance to the inner wings and chassis rails.

Double, thin green/black composition.  Easier to handle, increases clearance
to the chassis rails, almost no crushability, and more likely to blow a
chunk out than either of the others.

Double, thin metal one side black composition the other.  Again easier to
handle and increases clearance to chassis rails, not much crushability, but
more robust than the composition type.

Dunno about the RV8 manifolds but for many years the non-RV8 tubular
manifolds were a poor alignment with the head ports.  The manifold ports are
much bigger so they can take quite a bit of misalignment without partially
obstructing the head port, but the down side is that can leave only a very
thin area of overlap in some areas which is bad news for gaskets.  More
recently I've seen one-piece manifold flanges (four ports) which have a good
fit to the heads, and being one-piece cannot move or warp, making thinner
gaskets a reasonable proposition.  Without that I'd go for the thicker metal
faced ones.

PaulH.