Re: Cooling in relation to water speed

To: Terry Davis <twdavis1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling in relation to water speed
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:37:32 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Propylene Glycol (SP?) is used undiluted by some racers, and I wrote a little piece about it in an issue of the Newsletter. The only drawback is that it costs ~$100 U.S. to fill a typical system. Real bummer if you spring a leak or are burning coolant. So, cost is the primary driver there. Viscosity and surface tension are the other issues. It has to be able to "wet" the material with which it is in contact. Even water can have it's surface tension reduced with a drop of dish-soap and other chemicals. "Water Wetter" claims to be a proprietary product, but it smelled a hell of allot like dish-soap to me when I tried it.
Again, I originally recommended that people in our community try PG, but then I had to recant with regards to late-model Rover blocks because of the cracking problem.

JJJ.

Terry Davis wrote:

I wonder (maybe one of you knows) why other liquids are not used in cooling systems?  Mineral oil comes to mind or some other light weight oil.  Is it because they do not transfer heat (from the engine heads and block to the radiator) as efficiently as water?