Re: Shackles

To: "'Barrie Robinson'" <barrie@look.ca>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shackles
From: Simon & Donna <sdaustin@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:55:12 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I'd agree with Richard on this, Barrie. Think back to when kids used to add longer shackles to their cars in the 60's and 70's for that cool hot rod look (no one cared about the geometry at play here).

I tried the lowering blocks on my '77 shell to get the back end down but it didn't lower it enough. I eventually went with a set of "reverse-loop" springs. These brought the height down to where I'm happy with the look. I can find a part number if you want to investigate this option. You could also have your springs re-arched to lose the height.

Cheers
Simon

Barrie,
Longer shackles will raise the rear of the car, not lower it. If you want to
lower it, you either need different springs or lowering blocks.

Richard Morris

> Subject: Shackles

I am going to use a method given to me by a lister (thanks Paul!) of
lowering my MGB GT V8 rear end . The idea is to use longer shackles
at the rear of the spring. Has anyone got any spare shackles with
which they wish to part? I need four sets

Regards

Barrie Robinson