Re: Temp sensor position

To: Simon & Donna <sdaustin@shaw.ca>,mgb-v8@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Temp sensor position
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:25:33 -0500
Simon,

My fan is wired to stay/come on even if the ignition is offed!   I
have through the wings exhaust manifolds (much prettier than the RV8
ones !)    But my question was more related to which would be the
best place to put a temp sensor rather than relate to my current 'too
hot when idling' situation.  This, I believe, will be solved by
fitting a less heavy density rad so more air will be able to
circulate with the 2,960 cm electric fan at idle.  Too many tubes,
far too restrictive

At 01:45 AM 12/31/2006, Simon & Donna wrote:
>I believe I'm running pretty much the same engine as Barrie (Rover
>3.5) but with RV8 headers (sorry, Barrie, can't remember if you have
>these or not), extra-tall, 4-core rad, twin RB original fans mounted
>in the stock location, no extra shrouding or ducting other than an
>ST spoiler to direct air into the lower section of the rad. So far,
>I've not had any cooling issues.  I have my fans controlled by a
>thermo-switch attached to the back-side of the rad at the top
>tank.  It's not even installed inside a rad hose.  I usually set it
>to come on when the temp gauge reaches half-way between the N and H
>and the fans will cool the engine back to the N, even in traffic.
>
>As Kelvin mentioned, these fans seem to do a fair bit of cooling.
>
>My fans are also wired to the key so will shut off when the car is
>turned off.  Maybe not the best way but if the car is really hot,
>I'll open the hood.  Perhaps Barrie's fans should be wired live to
>help cool after the engine is turned off?
>

>Subject: Temp sensor position
>

>>Folks at world,
>>
>>Having had some fun with the over-heating in my MGB GT V8 I have
>>sort of worried around all the aspects thus learning a great deal
>>from our gurus (for which many thanks).  There are still some
>>facets that require some scientific confirmation but one little
>>item comes to the top of my greying grey matter......  My temp
>>sensor is on the radiator and this controls the electric
>>fan.   Thus when the rad is cooled while the car is stationary, off
>>goes the fan despite the fact that the engine block may be still
>>stonking hot!   There is practically no heat path between them when
>>the pump has stopped swirling water.  Would it not be better
>>therefore to put the sensor on the block, or at least the intake manifold?
>>

>>Regards
>>Barrie

Regards
Barrie