Re: Temp sensor position on factyory V8

To: "Frazer, John A" <John.Frazer@astrazeneca.com>,
Subject: Re: Temp sensor position on factyory V8
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:24:03 -0000
Just to be clear, the manual switch would have been an owner addition, they
didn't come like that from the factory.  As to whether the inlet manifold is
hotter than the top of the rad or not I think that is pretty marginal.  If
the thermostat stuck closed then yes the fans on the V8 will come on, but
because there is no coolant circulating through the rad they won't do
anything useful.  Does avoid the problem of switches blowing out of the rad,
though.

Incidentally, the 'Otter' switch is so-called because it switches on when
the water get 'otter.  As far as I was aware they have been unobtainable for
many years.  There is an SU Burlen alternative but its characteristics are
very different - it comes on at a slightly lower temperature than the Otter,
which is no bad thing, but it has a much greater (variable) hysteresis and
usually doesn't switch off again until the temp gauge is right back down to
N.  This means the fans are running for much longer than they need to, so
shortening their life.

PaulH.