RE: oil pans and pickups

To: "James Nazarian" <james.nazarian@gmail.com>, "v8"
Subject: RE: oil pans and pickups
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:53:51 -0600
I've built a pan for a dry sump system, and I currently have a Canton
road-race style pan on (under?) my Tiger's 5.0. I got the Canton pan
with the associated pickup and windage tray; the pan has a vertical
baffle set that surrounds the pickup, with one-way trap doors to enhance
oil flow towards the pickup. The pan holds about seven quarts of oil.

For the cost of such a pan it's hard to beat...  You could easily pour
ten or 12 hours into fabricating a pan, only to find out that you missed
out on some detail.

Anyway: The big things with domestic v8's is that the crank sits pretty
low in the pan, and that makes having a windage tray and/or crank
scraper system a must-have. The windage tray keeps the oil in the pan
from getting slung around by the crank, and the scraper helps to remove
oil from the crank. Having baffles and trap doors in the base of the pan
is a secondary thing, but it may be necessary if the walls of the pan
are sloped such that the oil can easily travel away from the pickup.
This is especially true in the fore/aft direction, and the nature of the
problem depends on whether it's a front or rear sump pan.

Theo