SU carb styles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU carb styles
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 16:30:10 -0500
My limited experience would also indicate that HS4s and HIFs are equally
easy to rebuild and set up.  Do I dare state, in a public forum, that I've
never had any trouble with SUs on the MGBs if they're in decent condition.
If they're hard to tune, it means they need rebuilding.  (I've just broken
corollary #0251 of the fundamental law of random perversity: proud
exclamations regarding component- reliability inevitably lead to failure of
said component.)

But I have a different point to add.  I didn't realize until recently that
the HS4 equipped cars used different intake and exhaust manifolds than the
HIF cars.  The stud-flanges are thinner on both of the manifolds used on
the HIF models.  I don't know if HIFs can be used on HS4 manifolds, etc
(are they the same distance apart so the linkages work, etc?), but I do
know the manifolds are not interchangeable.  I recently took a header off
my HS4-equipped '76 B,  expecting to use an extra exhaust manifold from a
'73 - until I started checking part numbers.  I couldn't use that manifold
- ' had to buy another pre '72 manifold.  The part number is cast into the
exhaust manifold - I can't recall it, but a quick check of any major parts
catalog will clarify.  You can also see the difference in the flanges.  The
pooint of all thie is that your choice of carburettors may be determined by
which manifolds you have or can easily acquire.

Allen "B"