Maroon's Progress

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Maroon's Progress
From: glenns@edge.ercnet.com (Glenn Schnittke)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 00:55:20 -0600
Last weekend I took the maroon over to A.B.'s and we spent a pleasant day
taking off the head to find out things about my engine I didn't know. Like
it's true the PO did rebuild it (barely perceptable wear ring on the walls
and no perceptable damage from the alledged bad rings) and bored it 30+ and
the HIF's really don't need rebuilt. A.B. also noticed when we were putting
it back together that the vacuum advance line connector at the manifold was
way loose. It's a tiny detail. I turned it around so that the 90 connector
was on the distributor end and the tension from the new position is keeping
it in place so well that the idle evened out (pretty much) on it's own.

As it is, after doing nothing more than decarbing the piston heads (so we
could read the markings) and putting in an new head gasket, then resetting
the valves, I've got an idle speed of 800 again. All winter it's been idling
high. Another fun thing we discovered was that there was definitely a crack
in the head above the #2 plug (very small - vague seepage under pressure)
and the PO had COLD FIXED a crack over #3. Other than that everything's neat
and tidy and AB sold me a head so he could make room for more parts and I'm
gleefully in the middle of changing out a valve and a guide or two so I can
slap in on When I Get Time.

Oh, and my cowl drain is stopped up, too. I tried shoving a chunk of 10 ga
solid core down it and it wouldn't go, but it did get me behind the dash so
I could reconnect the right defroster hose.

So, AB; how's the "arrest me" car coming?

Glenn
People will buy anything that's one to a customer.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com