perpetual fuel cell: Part II

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: perpetual fuel cell: Part II
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:21:54 +0500
This weekend I investigated my fuel guage problems further (sorry, I should
have done this before posting the problem) with a little help from your
suggestions.  Here's what I found out and some responses to your questions:

1.      the fuel guage returns to the empty position when the ignition is
switched off.
        (don't ask about my ignition switch, thats another episode altogether).

2.      the temperature guage reads normally.

3.      if I remove and ground the lead from the sending unit (at the fuel
tank) the fuel guage              drops to the empty position, returning to
the full position when the lead is re-attached.

4.      When the tank is plumb full, the guage pegs about 3/16" past the F.
It drops down to         about the F when the tank is less than half full.

This leads me to conclude that the sending unit is bad. It is less than 3
yrs old but a reproduction replacement, so who's to say.  Is this a correct
assumption?  Thanks for the advice.