spridget vrs. Mini

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: spridget vrs. Mini
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:22:33 +0500
Fellow fiends:

Well, members of my local car guy support group met over the weekend and we
were discussing possible "next" car projects.  Without going into the
psychology of why we need "projects" and why can't we all just enjoy what we
have here-and-now...(please mail your explanations for that one directly to
my wife; I don't personally care to hear about it)...  I was wondering what
the net wisdom is on the question of...

"If I could pick either a Spridget or a Mini as a next project,
which would it be?"

Assume for a minute that you've made a pact with the hairy thunderer that
your next car *has* to have a BMC A-series engine in it, or you will suffer
a horrible fate.  One faction of my car guy support group says: "Get the
mini: its on the short list of fun things to do with your pants on."  Of
course, the other faction says: "Are you crazy?  Get the spridget.  Nothing
is more fun than a convertible."

This may be a drawback with the newly balkinized brit-cars lists (I'm not
currently a subscriber to the mother list), but are there opinions among the
MGS list members on the Mini vrs. the Spridget?  Which model years are best
for the Mini (just in case I started to, sort of, look around for one)?
I've a pretty good idea that among the Spridgets I'd prefer the Bugeye, with
a MkIV Sprite/MkIII Midget following in line.  I'm thinking not just for a
project but for a driver/keeper (what ever *that* is).

Opinions?  Flames?

Will "not overly influenced by his friends" Zehring