'73 MGB, Running on #2 only, Help?

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG Mail List mgs@autox.team.net)
Subject: '73 MGB, Running on #2 only, Help?
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 13:00:39 -0500
Jon Swanson writes -

I didn't know that it was possible for a 4-stroke engine to run on only one
cylinder, but that is what this one is doing.....

Jon -
Wow - what a  problem.  The compresssion might be a little low for a low
compression engine (mine run about 135) but it's certainly enough to run
quite well.  My only thought concerns the match of the engine and the
timing chain cover.  Is this a correct 18V engine for the '73?  (Compare
the engine number with the chart in the front of the Moss catalog to get a
rough idea.)  Sometime between '71 and '73 they switched the timing marks
from the bottom side of the timing chain cover to the top.  My '71 GT has a
late 18V engine but the PO reassembled it, of course, with the original
front plate - AND COVER.  When I set the timing, I found out the hard way
it would not run unless I connected the timing light to #4 instead of #1!

Good luck and, once you solve it,  promise to let us all know what the
problem was.

Allen Bachelder

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034