re: Determining model year

To: "Phil Hunt, Proj Leader, Frontenac County Board Of Education" <huntp@admin.fcbe.edu.on.ca>
Subject: re: Determining model year
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 17:04:44 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Phil Hunt, Proj Leader, Frontenac County Board Of
Education wrote:

> btw...I found the discussion 'Nother B Question very interesting.  This is
> the exact project I'm starting now.  Looks like I'll be replacing the floors,
> rockers (interior and exterior) and the castle rails.  I've ordered Lindsey
> Porter's book on MG: Purchase & DIY Restoration through wordplay which
> can be reached at (URL:  http://www.wordplay.com).
>
> Any advice on this project greatly appreciated.

One suggestion.  I bought the Porter book, 2nd edition.  I was
disappointed to find that much of the book is given over to how you
reconstruct a car around a new heritage shell.  If you are trying to
resurrect an original shell, that is not very helpful.  For example, the
discussion of replacing sills is fairly short and not especially easy to
follow.  I have not looked at the original version, to see if it has more
info on how to keep an original shell going, but I assume it has.  You may
want to look for a copy of the first edition; if you call around you can
probably find a copy still in stock somewhere.

How do others on the list feel about the two editions?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910