chrome bumpers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: chrome bumpers
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 09:31:02 -0500
Steve Lindsay writes -
Will the chrome bumpers on any of the older MGBs
fit on my 1978 MGB?

Steve -
I think you would run into some bigger problems than you anticipate.  For
one thing, the rear quarter panels on the rubber bumper cars are quite
different from those on chrome bumpered cars.  There is no finished body
metal below the tail lights on your '78 - so even if a chrome bumper would
bolt up - it would leave you with a big ugly gap between your tail lights
and your rear bumper.  Compare your car with a chrome bumper car and you'll
see what I mean. ' Think there may be similar problems in front as the
parking/turnsignal lights are in the rubber bumper.

Of course anything can be done, and I've seen chrome bumper conversions
like you propose - but it is far from a bolt-on job.  There are certain
advantages to those rubber bumpers - I know as I've been rear-ended a
couple of times and I hit a cow with my '76 (the bumper never moved at
all!). Whether one likes them or not (they sure add a lot of weight to the
car) - they do their intended job VERY effectively! ' Suggest you enjoy
your '78 for what it is - you've got good protection from those who park by
the braille system - then look for a chrome bumpered car for your next
project.  That's what I've done.

Good luck,
Allen BAchelder

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034