re: Will Zehring

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: Will Zehring
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 15:40:00 -0500 (EST)
       Will,
            My B heels over quite a bit, also, and I have a front sway bar.
       Of course, the grip from the 195/60 P6's contribute, too! I think the
       stock front bar is around 5/8", although you may need to drill the
       corresponding holes in the body & front control arms to attach all the
       links. Rears are available, also. Remember, increasing front roll
       resistance will increase understeer ("push" in NASCAR-ese), increasing
       rear roll resistance increases oversteer ("loose"  "    " ). You may
       have tired springs all way 'round. Not a big job, IMHO. You said the
       front end gets light upon acceleration, another sign of worn springs.
       Does it get squirrely, too? Maybe broken "U" bolts that hold the
       spring to the axle or broken leaves. Good idea to get a fitting kit
       with the springs that contains all this hardware. As far as shocks go,
       if they don't leak, don't worry, BUT, you may very well have to
       destroy the shock link to get the spring off.
            U-joints - any clunks on acceleration/deceleration? Are they
       loose when you twist the driveshaft? Any grumbling sounds down there?
       If not I wouldn't worry.
            Not to be anal, but if it was my '63, I'd keep it as original as
       possible, no sway bar (not many like that), what being first year and
       all that. My opinion.
            Hope this helps. Enjoy!

       Colin             WA1KWA

       bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu