Joe Lucas Strikes Again

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Joe Lucas Strikes Again
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
Hrmphrhmph!

This is a warning to folks who think that paying attention to LBCs and
spending money on them is enough to keep them happy.

I start out the day by taking my 73 B out for a drive, then washing it
down (nasty pollen we are having here).

After a day of shopping for race tires and stereo stuff (riding in a
friend's car), night falls.  I get in the B to toodle across town.  When
making a left turn in front of the funeral home near my residence, all
the lights go out!  Smoke is pouring out from under the dash!  I pull off
into the funeral home parking lot (how infernally appropriate...)

I jump out of the car and run around to the front to open the [bonnet]...
no smoke there.... but the lights COME BACK ON....

I dash back to the cockpit and try the key.  No joy on the alternator
light... I try to turn the headlights off but the switch won't budge.
Then I rip the (Lucas) switch from the dash...

Darkness falls.  The bitter aftermath, nay, foetid stench of that which
courageously sheltered the flow of the tiny electron drifts silently
through the air.

Casualties: 2 terminals and the interior of a Lucas Headlight Switch, and
one wire which appears to run to the high-beam switch... now bare of
insulation...

Any ideas?  This was a new switch (Headlight) and a reasonably new  (< 1
year old) highbeam switch.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"It's bad luck to be superstitious."