Re: 73 MGB, Running on #1,2,4 !!

Subject: Re: 73 MGB, Running on #1,2,4 !!
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 19:03:35 -0400 (EDT)
Sounds like Jon is making progress...
Runs for 5 minutes then stops.  Sounds a bit like a tired fuel pump.
After it dies is there fuel in the carb bowls?

#3 plug not dark like the others... #3 is a mal-content.  I'd pull #3,
attach the plug wire, lay the plug against the block such that it stays
put without you having to hold it, and then have friend turn the engine
over.  You should see a bluish spark (not just yellow).  Thats usually
good enough for me.  The colortune idea is a good one, (I have one
myself), but its really best for adjusting the mixture.  Its overkill
to buy one just to check the spark.

If ya got spark, I'd check the compression once more to make sure it's
still OK.  If the compression is good, the valves should be in good
enough shape to allow the cylinder to work.
One last idea (albeit a far fetched one) is that #3 has damage to the
cylinder/rings/piston and fouls the plug with oil.  (I had a Vega that
used to do this), although I'd think such a problem would show up as a
suspecious (sp?) compression reading.

A worn throttle shaft will make precise adjustment of the mixture quite
difficult.  The throttle shafts in my SUs are worn but I have been
reluctant to spring for the reamer...

You're almost there...
John Van Valkenburgh  KE4QBR
Raleigh NC