RE: '73 MGB, Running on #1,2,4 !!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: '73 MGB, Running on #1,2,4 !!
From: "Alan Legerlotz. Mobile Wireless Applications. dtn 381-2404" <legerlotz@gigi32.enet.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 07:37:09 EDT
>>I set up the mixture as Al suggested:  I turned the mixture nuts so the jet
>>was flush with the top, then backed it down 12 "flats".  Since this seemed too
>>rich, I turned both jets up four "flats", cleaned the plugs, and tried again.

In my experience (with HS2s on a 1275 midget) 8 flats seems like it *should* be
awfully weak.  I would check your float height, and if that checks out, see if
the fuel pump is the correct type.  If the fuel pump is an aftermarket with too
much pressure, you could be pumping right past the float valve.

This is great progress, though...you got the engine to run a lot closer to
"properly" than it was before.

As others have recommended, I agree that you should rebuild the carbs fully.  At
that point, you will know that they are in good shape and adjusted correctly
After the rebuild, I would still start at 12 flats for an initial mixture,
although I'm sure you have to go a few flats in either direction to get the
correct mixture for your car.

-Al
1957 MGA Roadster "boxed set"  8^)