Jon's enigmatic engine, MkII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Jon's enigmatic engine, MkII
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 08:46:03 +0500
Jon and fellow fiends:

Congrats on the progress you've reported!  That must have been a thrill to
hear the engine kick over the first time.  I can't add to the advice already
offered on dealing with the #3 plug  and a potentially tired fuel pump (hope
it ain't rings).  I wouldn't be surprised if the entire fuel line will need
cleaning!  It seems to me that you ought to take the carbs back off and go
for the total rebuild.  This includes a cleaning of the float bowls, maybe
replacement of the float valves, replace all gaskets, seals, jets, needles
etc.  The kit isn't that expensive that you shouldn't do it complete.
Regarding the throttle body bearings:  You need to press new bearings into
the carbs and then ream them to the tolerance of a new throttle rod (or, get
oversized rods and ream the existing bearings).  Either way my advice is to
get someone with experience in this to do it (someone with a good drill
press and with the equip. to press in new bearings).  This is precise work
(including putting the butterflys back on) and I imagine it is very hard to
do at home without proper equipment (I'm assuming that, like me, all your
electric tools fit into your hand).  The reamer isn't cheep, is very
brittle, and you might not need it again for ten years.  I worked out a deal
with my local trusty-n-reliable lbc mechanic: I bought *HIM* the reamer and
he rebuilt my carbs in trade.  The results are great and I'm glad I did it
his way.

Will "or am I suffering from Egan's Druid syndrome?" Zehring