Manual for the 18V series engine.

Subject: Manual for the 18V series engine.
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 23:11:08 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,
  I'm getting ready to pull the engine on my '70 model MGB roadster this
weekend.  Even though the car is a 1970 model, a PO put in an 18V series
engine (584Z).  I've got the "Official" manual from Bently which covers
the years 1962-1974.  The problem is that the manual does not say much
about the specs for the 18V series engine.
- Should I be using the manual for the later years?

I'm not real sure what componets are actually in the engine.  For
example, the head is 18V series (single springs etc), but the engine has
a double row timing chain.  What I'm getting at is that I think I'll need
to pull the engine apart to see if the PO put in different pistons/rods etc.

- I need to know what the specs are for the 18V engine as far as bore,
and acceptable crank dimentions etc.
- Are those specs basically the same as the earlier 5 main engines?

My plan is to tear the engine down and have a machine shop "tank" it,
bore it, machine the block surface, and install a new cam and bearings.

I'm open to all suggestions such as:
- Should I have the flywheel surfaced?  Balanced?
- Should I be putting a new ring gear on the flywheel?  New starter drive?

I already plan on replacing the clutch componets while they are
accessible.  Is there a better release bearing than the original
carbon-faced one?

Many thanks in advance...

John Van Valkenburgh  KE4QBR
Raleigh, NC