Re: Funny noises in Glen's 74B

Subject: Re: Funny noises in Glen's 74B
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 00:27:41 -0400 (EDT)
<snip>

>When revving the engine to 3 or 4k or so, as in
>accelerating through the gears, AS IT IS REVVING DOWN it sounds like someone
>suspended a pushrod from either end with a bunch of washers threaded on it,
>and it is vibrating and ringing. It is only as the rpm are dropping that it
>happens. The engine is still running fine and I just did a valve adjustment

Sounds a bit like rod knock.  I'd be inclined to pull the oil pan and
ckeck for a loose rod.  Perhaps check the torque on the end-caps.

>Other hints; at idle (c. 800 rpm), after it has warmed up, it will SLOWLY
>drop rpm until it wants to cut out, as if there is a vacuum leak (I'm sure
>there is and I've been blowing it off until the head replacement);

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me also.  I've got one of those hand
operated vacuum pumps which has a gauge.  I use that to check the engine
vacuum while the engine is running.  I would not entirely rule out a lean
mixture though...  A common place for a vacuum leak is the diaphram on
the distributor.  Also check to make sure the manifold and carbs are all
tight.

Good luck,
John Van Valkenburgh  KE4QBR
Raleigh, NC