Re: Funny noises - 74 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Funny noises - 74 B
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 07:42:20 +0500
Glenn and Fellow fiends:

Glenn writes:

>it has developed an interesting noise that sounds
>like it is coming from underneath the engine compartment. At least that's
>where it's the loudest. When revving the engine to 3 or 4k or so, as in
>accelerating through the gears, AS IT IS REVVING DOWN it sounds like someone
>suspended a pushrod from either end with a bunch of washers threaded on it,
>and it is vibrating and ringing. It is only as the rpm are dropping that it
>happens.

I don't really think that this is what you're talking about, but I had a
similar sound in my B last fall (Maybe SF#1 can do a posting on chasing down
noises in engine compartments?).  It had a light metallic rattle sound to it
and it did seem to be sinsitive to RPM (in my case it was more a matter of
absolute RPM, not whether it was increasing or decreasing).  It turned out
to be a pretty silly thing:  the heavy duty spring on the starter motor had
been compressed and was loose and jangling on the motor spindle (this was a
fresh engine in the car do I didn't think it was something internal).  I
disassembled it (the starter motor gearing, that is) and in a very low tech
way streched the spring and reassembled it.  Silence was golden.  Again, i
don't really think this is your noise, but it takes 10 seconds to test.

Will Zehring