Re: 68 MGB doorhandles

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: Re: 68 MGB doorhandles
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 22:02:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> The push button on my door handle has been sticking out farther and farther
> lately.  The bas of the push button is now higher than the opening in the
>handle
> it slides into.
>
> Is this something I fix ny taking off the inner panel and tightening a screw,
> removing the handle & tightening a screw, or replacing the whole door handle
> assembly???????

These comments are based on my 72? doors, which do exactly what you are
describing.  My doors are NOT right for my 73 B, but take the older strap
style inside handles (not the bulky injection molded ones).

If it is convenient to take off the inner panel, then do so... it will
help a bit in accessibility and visibility (but not a lot).  Look down
through the window crack move the push button.  You will see a bolt head
which moves with the button, and presses on the latch mechanism.  This
bolt is backing out and extending the button.

I have had a little luck with taping the appropriate sized open-end
wrench to a screwdriver (so I can reacch the bolt head through the window
crack) and turning the silly thing 1/6 turn at a time.

I'd suggest dripping some locktite onto it after you are done, as it WILL
back out again.  At least in my case, I can't figure out how to put the
appropriate torque onto that bolt to make the old lock-washer work.

If someone has a better plan, I'd love to hear it.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle