Re: allen plugs for air injection holes

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: allen plugs for air injection holes
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 11:49:06 -0500 (PDT)
> I recently did a port & polish job on an MGB head, and wanted to plug the
> air injection holes with something more attractive than bolts with heads
> sticking out. Allen-head set screws were the obvious answer, but none of
> the local shops had the right size.

This seems a good time to ask a question I've had simmering on one of my
back-most burners:  Is the removal of the smog stuff worth it?

The most reasonable way to answer this question is to compare the
horsepower loss to the emission gain (a "gain" is a drop in emissions).
Now, I don't imagine that the air pump sucks more than one or two
horsepower, but if the HC, CO and NOx numbers don't significantly rise
upon removal of the pump, I'll rip it out simply to de-clutter my engine
bay.

Is it possible to meet the pollution regs with the pump removed?  Of
course I'm not speaking of visual inspections; I'm talking about actual
pollution.  Does anybody have a no-air-pump 'B that passes the sniffer
test?

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with original and functioning smog equipment