iginition and rheostats

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: iginition and rheostats
From: TSCARL@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 19:50:32 -0400
i am new to this group but have a couple of questions.

1.  i just got my 1977 mgb out of winter storage and had it given a physical
for the summer, which included a tune-up, brake check, etc. everything seems
to be fine but for -- when i shut the car off, it keeps on running.  a check
indicates the ignition is malfunctioning. and it is very mushy when the key
is inserted for a startup. i would like comments on the how to's of removing t
he guard on the ignition and replacing the ignition switch. i have checked
the moss and british victoria catalogs for replacements and the switch seems
to be readily available. maybe someone can recommend the exact replacement
ignition switch. i am assuming the guard can be put back on with new break
away bolts.

2.  the rheostat (sp) on the far left of my dash controls the interior
lights. it is shot. i can buy a new one but they appear expensive. anyone got
one for a 1977 mgb that works and they could part with reasonably or has
anyone done a replacement with something other than the after market part
sold by the mgb catalog companies?

thanks. cm