Alternator testing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator testing
From: Mark5757@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 20:52:46 -0400
I recently replaced the alternator in my 78MGB with a rebuilt unit..  The
charge indicator light is not working (with the old alternator the light
wouldn't go out, so I know it works).  Rather than take the unit back to the
supplier, I would rather test it myself to see if it is charging.   The
method I devised was as follows:  Using a voltmeter I testing the voltage at
the cigar lighter and the trunk light,  with the car turned off, the voltage
was 12 volts at each device.   With the car running I repeated the test, the
results were then 13-14 volts.  Can I assume these results indicate that the
alternator is charging properly?   Any advice will be appreciated.

Mark5757@AOL.COM