fuel gauge, MkIII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel gauge, MkIII
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:01:13 +0500
Fellow fiends:

I know you folks want to keep on top of this so... a few updates:

-No, a '63 B doesn't have a dash mounted voltage regulator.  We don't need
no stinking voltage regulators!  (sorry)
-I have a combination oil pressure/water temp. gauge (mechanical).  The fuel
gauge is in fact the only electric gauge in the car.  The oil pressure gauge
sticking is unrelated to the fuel gauge problem and is repaired
(temporarily) by the rapid application of a knucle to the gauge glass cover.
-A quick swap test last night (along with some ground connection cleaning)
indicates the problem is *internal* to the gauge.  I suspect an intermittant
short.  That is: the swap gauge appears to work but mine still doesn't.
-I didn't end up doing any detailed meter readings or remove the sending
unit.  The tank is over half full (based upon my odometer!) and I didn't
want to mess with draining it (yech!).

Milo...  Mark...  Anyone out there in net.land have a "Jaeger" faced fuel
gauge that works and that is also for sale?  I've opened up another one of
these babys (in my dark past) and I'd rather perform brain surgury.

Have a good weekend!
Will