Re: '73 MGB, Running too fast on all 4 !!

To: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson)
Subject: Re: '73 MGB, Running too fast on all 4 !!
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:29:47 -0700
>Now, it appears that my 'B' is too excited about running. It starts
>beautifully, but refuses to idle below 2700 - 3000 RPM!  I have checked
>all of the linkages, I even removed them to see if something was binding
>up, and closed down the throttle plates as much as I could, to no avail
>(it got me the 300 RPM from 3000 to 2700).

Did you remove/loosen the throttle plates?  If so, did you close the
throttle fully before tightening the screws?  If one of them is not
centered in the bore, it will never close properly.  You should be able to
close the bore off entirely when the idle adjustment screw is backed off.
With the carbs off the car, I like to hold them up to a light and look for
gaps between the plate and the bore.  You should be able to lift the piston
and see a gap large enough to cause that high an idle if the plates are at
fault.

>Any suggestions?  Can worn throttle shafts (mine are) cause this much
>of an idle problem?  I can't really check the timing per the specs, but
>it measures about 30 degrees advanced at 3000rpm - am I close?

I think worn shafts will not cause this, as the air pulled in will not go
past the jet, and will therefore cause a too-lean condition, not an open
throttle condition.  Even if the timing were that far off, it wouldn't
cause a 3000 RPM idle.

Good hunting!  sf

Stan Fickes             If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
Wireless comm., ATG     Safety Fast!
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-7653