I'm selling that retched watch-- MG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm selling that retched watch-- MG
From: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 22:07:43 EDT
    A few days back you all may have read about the watch I
have.  The MG watch-- Longines etc.  I'm selling it, as it
is currently in the repair shop getting $100 in labor
slobbered over it.  I'll eventually send photos to whoever
wants them free of charge.  Just send your address and I'll
send them off when I get the watch back from the shop.
Since there really is no sale presedence, it will go to
whoever will pay the most, or anything for it!
    For those of you that don't know about it, here I go.
    The watch case is without a "door".  The case is almost
definately solid gold as there are gouges that are deeper >>
than just plate or fill would be that are gold to the
bottom.  The watch man says that there may be a small silver
or steel disc inside the back to keep it stiff and from
denting, or it could be extremely thick gold layered on.
   The hands are solid gold.  There are VERY ornate.  The
watch face is white/offwhite/very old white.  There is a
second ticker on the bottom.  The mintues by fives are
written in red around the sides.  The hours are in a script
like lettering.  It says "WInter's"  "MPL's"  and then the
"MG" emblem, and under the hands "Swiss".
    The repairs are due to the pallete, or the fork being >
out of whack.  It may be repaired, or it may be
un-repairable.  If it is repairable, the entire watch will
carry a full 1 year warranty against not working.
   The movement is called a "Longines".  It is a swiss
movement of very high qualiity and complication.  The serial
numbers claim the innards to have been made in 1910.  This
is odd as MG as a company didn't start until around 1924-5.
The reapir man explains that the innards were SO expensive,
that putting a used movement in a new case wasn't that
uncommon.  It sounds like something MG would do in the early
year when the bucks were short.  The case appears to be from
the late 20's and early 30's.  When new the watch carried a
20 year guarentee.  According to information inside the
watch, it was first re-opened and repaired in 1971.  So,
that movement is of a VERY high quality.
   Offers sight unseen will be accepted but I won't hold you
till anything, even after you've seen it and made an offer.
IT will go to whoever pays me the most.
   Just so you know, I'm getting rid of it because I'm 16
and really want an Austin Mini.  The watch sits in a drawer.
I could use a Mini.  I can't afford to have such a
"non-performing asset".  Thanks-     John