re: freeing stuck lower wishbone pin

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: freeing stuck lower wishbone pin
From: warchol@may11.enet.dec.com
Date: Mon, 1 May 95 09:02:43 EDT
I just replaced the lower wishbones about 3 weeks ago on my 75 Midget so I know
how much of a pain they can be.

After I removed the nut I removed the large flat washer. I replaced the nut and
used an air impact hammer to drive the bolt out. If I was lucky it would work
or a least it would expose enough of the bolt at the other end (the end with
the big round washer welded on) to allow me to cut the head off and drive it
back in. If the air hammer didn't work by itself then sometimes a ball joint
fork can be used to get under the large head of the bolt an work enough of the
bolt out to cut the head off. I used a Sawzall to cut the head off since there
isn't much room to use a hacksaw.

If I had to do this again I'd just use the sawzall to cut between the wishbone
and the chassis brackets, cutting the bushings and the bolts at the same time.
I thought that since I had this apart about 4 years ago I wouldn't have that
much of a problem and the bolts could be reused. I ended up buying new bolts
anyway.

Remember to install the front sway bar before you install the front spring.
It's much easier to tighten the end link bolts without the springs installed.

Nick