Re: radio & speaker

To: F.vanDalen@LR.TUDelft.NL (Dalen)
Subject: Re: radio & speaker
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 09:02:45 -0400
My '69 B has the original radio still in it,
>proudly saying 'British Motor Corporation' on the front.  I bought a new
>speaker for it, now... where is it supposed to go?

 I believe the
>British and European models at that time had the radio in the dash and the
>speaker in the console, but does anyone of you know where the MG company put
>the
>speaker/speakers on the '68/'69 US models?
>
>Frank van Dalen

Frank -
I'm not sure about '68-'69 models, but the right-hand under-dash covers on
my '71 and '73s contain a grill (perforated opening) that looks like it's
intended to accommodate a single mono speaker - about 4X6 in size.  ' Seems
I recall seeing a speaker installed there on some car(s).

On my '73, I built a speaker enclosure that sits atop the battery cover.
It is low enough to allow the top to go down without problems.  Advantages:
no holes cut in car, pretty good sound around town with top up.
Disadvantages: must remove to access batteries, reduced storage, lousy
sound with top down, reduced quality if anything is lying on top of the
enclosure (read: speaker grills).  I am seeking a better solution.  I don't
like door panel mounts even tho they are original on late models - sooner
or later the speakers get wet - even with the plastic shields on them.

Regards,
Allen