Spridget Article in G.M. (Long)

To: Fine Fast MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridget Article in G.M. (Long)
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 12:18:02 -0400 (EDT)
Dear MG aficionados,

When I saw what Grassroots Motorsports had to offer this
issue about Sprite/Midgets in racing my heart beat faster.
I read Glenn Hudson's article and found it very interesting,
as I already mentioned in a previous posting. So now Glenn,
the author himself, replied.
I think here's something that might be interesting for quite
a few people on the net, and maybe it triggers some
discussions.
-----------------------------
Glenn,

I very much liked your article and now I am putting all
my efforts into getting my Midget into good running shape.
Even though on the CTR meeting I was offered a hot street
cam for the 1275cc engine. I remembered your article and
passed with very much mixed feelings. This might
change next time, but first things first.

I was looking for what was called the "long K&N velocity
stacks" and what matching filters would fit under the hood
of the Midget. I asked around, but I couldn't get any
conclusive answer to that.
What I saw, e.g. in a recent flyer were just the very
short stubs that fit into the pancacke filters. And this
is the first time I see any ram air intake components
besides in the A-Series book by Vizard. Is there also
a place that sells these things?
Glenn:
You can find the long velocity stacks and K&N filters at
Winner's Circle.  Call Dave at (216) 333-4666.
Expect to pay $100 or more for all.

Gus:
The modification that was suggested by Motorhead's Jackson,
which is a 1.5:1 rocker assembly to increase the valve lift,
is rather on the expensive side of the costs and is  in the
range of $300, isn't it?
Glenn:
The 1.5:1 rocker assembly is about $300, but expect to pay
$400 overall once you replace pushrods and such when you
make the change.

Gus:
Doesn't decrease the copper gasket the compression if it's
only a replacement for the felt gasket? If so would the
milling down of the head be the next step?
Glenn:
No, the copper gasket will not effect compression.  Domed
pistons and shaving the head will.  But keep in mind, higher
compression equals less reliability.
I was at Road Atlanta at the Walter Mitty Challenge Vintage
races two weeks ago and a guy with a 1275 Bugeye literally
blew a hole in the side of his block when his engine broke
on the back straight at about 100 mph.

Gus:
I liked the paragraph were you were talking about simple
modifications that make the stock Spridget work better.
You said that one should replace the damper oil of the
lever shocks with STP. Sorry, I am not familiar with
this STP. Could you please explain what this STP is?
Glenn:
STP is a thick lubricant found in all auto parts stores.
It is thicker than lever shock fluid and therefor stiffens
the shock.  You will note than Richard Petty's stock car
was sponsered by STP throughout his career.

Gus:
I very much appreciate the advice about the rear axles
and that they might snap without prior warnings! That
could ruin my day. Can you recommend any hardened axles?
Glenn:
You can also find hardened axles through Winner's Circle,
though I don't know the price because they don't publish
prices in their catalog.

Good luck with your Midget.  Feel free to mail with any
questions.  That's what it's all about.
Gus (again):
Glenn's e-mail address is: GHUDSON@mail.mcg.edu

If anybody liked my typos - They're all hand made by me!
Sometimes good things aren't necessarily an invention on
purpose.
Cheers,
        Gus

Agustin de la Calle               '71 MG Midget (red)
Boston, MA              delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu
voice: (617) 632-4754
fax:   (617) 632-4393