Puzzler???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Puzzler???
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 15:10:39 -0400
' Think I just counted 14 responses - but none of them is correct.  A
couple of you mentioned points.  (Others of you will hasten to remind us
that '78 Bs don't have points, but in fact this car did have points as some
PO had converted it back.)  It had the original Zenith Stromberg carb,
converted to manual choke - but that wasn't the problem.  I had quite
thoroughly tuned the car the day before this trip: set valves, replaced
points, condenser and plugs, set timing, replaced fuel and air filters,
etc. and though I knew very little about MGs at that time, it turns out
that the problem had nothing to do with anything I did.  Remember, it ran
perfectly smoothly (started easily too) - it simply didn't have any power.

Somebody mentioned a clogged catalytic converter.  A mechanic in Frankfurt
(Frankfort?) was absolutely sure that was the problem.  He was wrong.
Somebody mentioned the coil.  That had occurred to me also on the fateful
day in question,  but I replaced the coil to no avail.

I  just checked a catalog right now and I'm amazed to find that the part,
for which I vividly remember paying $4.90, is currently listed for $3.05!

Happy Hunting!
Allen