leaking exhaust manifold!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: leaking exhaust manifold!
From: The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 11:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
A friend and I decided to paint our B engine the traditional red.  We removed
all the parts surrounding the engine, including the exhaust manifold.  After
painting, we tried to reattach the manifold to the dual tailpipes, but had a
lot of trouble.  The nuts were very tight and we sheared one of the bolts.
However, we replaced this and tightened everything down.  On running the
engine, we fould that the exhaust, instead of coming out the back of the car,
was leaking at the joint between the manifold and the tailpipe. We borrowed a
set of ramps, raised the car, and took everything apart again.  This time we
replaced a few more of the bolts with new ones, and changed to nuts that
actually fit well.  I noticed that the two pipes on the tailpipe weren't quite
the same level (when connected to the exhaust manifold one is touching sooner
than the other).  We put the collars back on, tightened everything down, and
tried again.  This time I thought we'd got it, because for the first minute or
two there were no leaks.  Then it started to leak, but not as much as before.
     Now, it looks like we've got to take it all apart again, and since this is
-not my favorite task, I'd like to find out some tips from people who have
experience with this.  Should I use some sort of sealant, or o-rings?  I used
the old gaskets since I don't have quick access to lbc parts.  Can I find new
gaskets without having to mail order them?  Thanks.

Benjy Edwards.
-

benj@proxima.cc.colorado.edu                 1968 MGB MkII
b_edwards@rikki.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Trek 2300 Dura-Ace STI