Re: Emmision Controls

To: Eric Storey <eric_storey@mail.mba.wfu.edu>
Subject: Re: Emmision Controls
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 15:42:27 -0600 (MDT)

On 18 May 1995, Eric Storey wrote:

> I am looking into buying an MGB to restore.  I know that emission controls
> first appeared on the 1968 models.  My question is when do the emission
> controls become so complicated that a nonprofessional might have trouble
> working on the engine.  I think 1975 and later models had catalytic
> converters as well as other emission and ignition controls.  Are 1968-74
> models relatively easy to tune, etc.?
>
> Eric Storey
> Eric_Storey@mail.mba.wfu.edu

Eric,

I believe 1975 was the change-over period, because my '75 Spitfire
doesn't have to have a "cat", but my '78 Midget does. I'm currently
bringing my Midget up to Colorado emissions standards with a generic
"cat" and air pump assemmbly. Incidentally, the Spitfire does have to
have an air pump though.

Nick D. Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University