Re: Vibrations caused by U-Joints

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vibrations caused by U-Joints
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 24 May 1995 16:30:50 -0500
In <199505242035.RAA27543@io.iotek.ns.ca>, Laird Bolt wrote:

>I read the recent description of the vibrations caused by the U-Joint with
>great interest as I have a similar sounding problem.  One person mentioned
>the vibration was noticeable at 30MPH which also corresponds to the exact
>same speed mine occurred at if I am in 3rd gear.  My car also has the same
>vibrations at the same RPM in 4th gear.
>
>My questions are; Did the people who had these vibrations caused by the
>U-joints experience the vibration through all the gears at the same
>RPM?  Were the vibrations only noticeable over a narrow speed range?
>Were the vibrations only noticeable when maintaining a constant speed?

U-joint vibrations generally depend on road speed and not RPM.  The
easiest way to find out if it really is a U-joint problem is to crawl
under and grab the drive shaft near the U-joint.  There should be
_absolutely no_ slop, either radial or axial (that's side to side and
back and forth).  If there is any slop at all, something is wrong, but
it may not be the U-joint.  Pray that it is.  If there is no slop,
then your vibration arises elsewhere.  My experience has been that the
vibrations are low-frequency and relatively severe and usually show up
between 3-40 mph, regardless of tranny gear.
                A. B. Bonds