Midget vibrations

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget vibrations
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Tue, 30 May 95 11:01:02 GMT
I have a '77 Midget with wire wheels. When I bought it about two years
ago there was a terrible vibration at about 55mph (couldn't see in the
rear view mirrors, couldn't hear the music kind of vibration). This went
away again above about 65mph. Obviously slowing down again was a problem
as I had to go back past this shaky zone. I replaced three of the wire
wheels, one of which had a broken spoke, and the other two looked a bit
tired. This cured the problem entirely. Recently though it's back, not
as bad but at the same speeds.

Should I replace the one orignal wheel, or is there another likely cause.

The diff. is knocking (has been for a year or more) the UJs seem fine.
Gear box could be better, and the distributor ditto. Where could these
vibes be coming from apart from the wheels, and how can I stop them or
damp them down ?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy Smith
Andy Smith. Senior Physicist