Re: tap-n-die sets

To: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Subject: Re: tap-n-die sets
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 12:15:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Palmer, Lew (UCI) wrote:

> In fact, although LBCs stopped using BSF/Whitworth threads back in the
> mid-50s, they never really gave up on the BA threads. Whitworth was a coarse

> Having said all that, 10-32 is close to, but not exactly the same as a 2BA
> pitch. By far and away, the 2BA is the most common small diameter screw
> found on LBCs, but there are often others - especially in electrical items.
> The purchase of a set of BA taps (and maybe even dies) is an excellent
> investment. They are still commonly available in the UK as they are still in

I think this is going to depend a lot on what kind of car you have.  I
assume Lew is right in general, but that may not apply to some cars.  For
example, I am 99.44% sure my bugeye, designed in the late 50s, has UNF
threads on all but a very few applications.  Exceptions might be screws
used in carbs or some electrical components such as the fuse block.  But
on the body, the fittings are UNF, as are most fittings on mechanical
components and the engine.  The pipe threads are british, and nothing
like american.

I think I recall that Will has an MGB.  Someone will certainly correct me
if I am wrong, but I expect the situation for a B would be much the same
for that car as for the bugeye.  I bet virtually all of the threads are
UNF.  If he had a Morgan, on the other hand, all bets would be off.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910