Re: Door/Window Crank Diffrnce/MkI-II-III -MGB's

To: Joanne Hershfield/Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Door/Window Crank Diffrnce/MkI-II-III -MGB's
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 1995 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Joanne Hershfield/Jim Fink wrote:

> In sifting through this pile of parts I have acumulated with my new
> aquistiion ('64 MGB), NOT the one posted on British Cars Today..!
> But quite similar....
>
> I have the following Questions after looking through the VB Catalogue....
>
> They show Different WIndow crank Mechanisms for 1962-65 / 65-67 / 68-80
> How Diff, I have some 68-80 ones, hwo do I tell the two diff earlier ones
> apart...?
>
> Also, '62-64 Doors with the pulll type "Refer" handles.... I noticed
> that the square hole is bigger than the later doors, is this it, is the
> depression the same size..?, I noticed that door skins by VB are the same
> part #'s for 62-80....So can a later doot be used on earlier cars, or are
> the window, or door handles, cranks bolts etc. in diff places..?

You have to modify the door skin if you use a later one.  Best bet is to
find early doors somewhere and patch 'em!  Early doors are NLA.

> I noticed that the '65-67 also has a diff. door handle, is it just the
> handle, or is the door slightliy diff too, for MKII's than I's or III's

So far as I can tell, it's just the handle.

> One last thing, are alum. bonnet's still avail, I notice VB just sells
> steel, hwo much $ Diff. is there....., are alum. ones still avail...

The VB hoods are unacceptable to my eye.  The contours are wrong along
the fender lines, and every one I've ever seen came with waves.  Damage
is easy to fix, but a wavy hood?  Throw it away and get another one.
Real OE hoods are available, but they cost at least twice as much as the
VB option and they're hard to locate.  Mine came (I think) from someplace
in Tennessee, but the parts wizard I buy from is pretty evasive :).  Alum
hoods _are_ aound, but they were going for $700+ last time I checked.
Since steel hoods were later OE, I opted for it instead.

-- Marc
GHN3/8214