Re: Q/X POST/Spridget/ Control arm

To: ALAN_COSTICH@HPATC1.desk.hp.com
Subject: Re: Q/X POST/Spridget/ Control arm
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 11:41:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 5 Jun 1995 ALAN_COSTICH@HPATC1.desk.hp.com wrote:

> I want to renew the lower control arms on my spridget
> and bygeye. The outer, lower fulcrum pin can be replaced,
> The tubes into which it screws are worn. As near as I can
> tell, one end is .555 at 16tpi. The other end is .646 at
> 16tpi. The smaller might be 14mm.
>
> The question is, does anyone know of the existance of a
> tap/taps for threading these tubes? I can make new tubes
> and braze them in. The problem is doing the internal thread-
> ing. I don't have a boring bar small enough and long enough
> to turn the threads on my lathe.
>
> Any ideas?

Alan,

I think you can buy a kit including the fulcrum pins and tubes from places
like Ron Hopkinson in England.  Or you can ship your old A-arms off to
Apple Hydraulic in NY and get them rebuilt, which seems to me like the way
to go.  I believe that some replacement kits use threads different from
the original, so if you try to do it youself get the new fulcrum pins
before you start trying to make tubes.

Ray
                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910