Re: New Soft Top

To: dbuckle@zeus.gs.gov.bc.ca (Deborah Buckle)
Subject: Re: New Soft Top
From: craig@wco.com (craig wiper)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 18:54 PDT

>Another note mentions Prestige in England.  Can anyone tell me the price and
>reports on the quality etc?
>
>Yet another note mentioned Northwest Imports (location?)  Price and quality?

>Thanks everyone!
>
>Deborah Buckle
>End User Analyst, Information Systems Branch
>Ministry of Government Services
>387-3485  (dbuckle@zeus.gs.gov.bc.ca)

Deborah, I drive a 1974 MGB that I have removed the fold-up top from and
installed the older, stow-away version on. For me it's worthwhile for the
extra space and I've got a roll bar that wouldn't fit with the folding top
installed.

A year ago I purchased a top from Prestige in England. It cost 129.95 plus
shipping. Also UPS sent me a bill for importing it from a foreign country;
seems to me it was an extra $6.00 or so. The top is fine and comes with the
rear "Lift-the-dot" snaps installed and the frame snaps supplied. Of course,
you have to install your own header, which I did. The material is a bit on
the thin side compared to the two other tops I've had on the car, but it has
held up so far.

I previously had purchased an AMCO top. The quality was a little better on
it. It gave way to my garage door one day after work when the openner
triggered prematurely. I had seen the Prestige tops advertised in Hemmings
Motor News(a must for any enthusiast), and their prices were very reasonable
(the AMCO sells these days for close to $195), so rather than buy another
AMCO, I bought the Prestige.

If I were to purchase another today, I would probably get another AMCO.

AMCO tops also come with the "Lift-the-dot" snaps installed and a chalk line
to line up your header to. Although don't do this without verifying that
everything fits to the car first.

A great place to buy your parts from (in my opinion from all the wonderful
treatment I've received is BRIT-TEK in Londonderry, New Hampshire.
1-800-255-5883. These guys sell AMCO tops among others and have compiled a
pamphlet on how to install a top correctly. I highly recommend that if you
end up installing a top yourself, that you at least purchase the pamphlet
from these guys. It made the job go alot smoother for me.

Oh, Prestige can be reached at: 1-800-659-2649 and yes, they answer in England.
I see that their tops are now starting at $139.95.

Bye, Craig Wiper
     craig@wco.com
     2 early '74 B's