Re: Seeking advice on '77 MGB king pin repair/replacement

To: Ron Peterson <ron@dvcorp.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on '77 MGB king pin repair/replacement
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 17:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hoo, boy.  Well, first of all, the A-arms have to be replaced if the bolt
holes have become oval instead of round.  Used ones are cheap.  I got my
frozen bolts out with lots of liquid wrench and about five straight hours
of banging away with a hammer and various case-hardened drifts.  Jack the
wheel slightly to take the tension off the bolt; that will help quite a
bit.  The best way to go IMHO is with complete remanufactured kingpin
assemblies.  No machine shop work, no mess, just knock the bushings in,
lube it up and bolt it on!  I seem to recall spending something like
$250-300 for a complete rebuild kit.  Last important note:  when you have
the A-frames apart, take the opportunity to install the V8 bushings!
They last forever and give you a tighter ride.

I had to take the air cleaners off to get to the steering U-joint, but
from there, rack removal including tie rods is pretty straightforward --
and if you '77 has its original carburetor, you may not even need to do
that.

I hope you have a nicer place to work than I did; I had to break every
day for a seemingly-endless spate of summer storms that happened for six
straight weeks (no fooling -- Atlanta, GA, last summer!).  Made an
already-unpleasant job into a nightmare.

Best of luck.

-- Marc
GHN3/8214