Dash lights or radio....??

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG Mail List mgs@autox.team.net)
Subject: Dash lights or radio....??
From: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 20:19:17 -0400 (EDT)
Just thought I would relate an interesting little wiring issue I ran into
the other day...

I am a fairly new MGB owner, and thus have not driven too much at night,
nor have I had a chance to fully appreciate the finer points of the
electrical system......well, the other night I was driving home from Vermont
listening to the radio - and noticing that I couldn't see any of the
guages.  It being the first time when I had driven with it really dark,
I assumed that a fuse must be blown, so I filed it away to look at later
(low priority).

So I'm cruising along when suddenly the radio sputters and quits, but
suddenly the dash lights are on for a moment.  That it was back to the
radio as usual.  This happened randomly for varying lengths of time all
the way home - and of course it only happened during the best songs, never
the commercials. I figured it was a loose connection or a bad ground somewhere,
but no amount of tapping or bumps in the road seemed to affect it.

Anyways, to make a long story short, after a bit of wire sleuthing I
discovered that the PO had wired the radio's ground into the red/white
dash light connector in the radio bay.  I guess the radio was getting it's
ground through the filaments of the bulbs?  I should have guessed this
based on the duct tape/hot melt glue wiring I had already corrected, but
this was certainly an unusual symptom....

Can't wait til my first drive in the rain ;-)

Jon Swanson
'73 MGB