Re: Clutch Adjustment?

To: "Gary E. Chidester" <garyc@cc.snow.edu>
Subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment?
From: Ed Burkett <burkett@BBN.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 95 11:03:17 EDT
I'm not an expert on MG clutches, but your comment about "at times the clutch
felt like it was trying to engage while the clutch pedal was depressed"
reminded me of a problem I had with a VW bug.

The pilot bearing supporting the transmission input shaft at the rear of the
engine was going bad.  Rather than letting the transmission input shaft remain
stationary with the clutch disengaged, the friction in the bearing tried to
turn the shaft.  Just before I finally had the bearing replaced, the clutch was
almost non-functional from bearing seizure.

Don't confuse the function of the pilot bearing with the function of the
throwout bearing.

Eric Lifsey:  Any experience with MG pilot bearings?

Ed