What's more disconcerting?

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@MVDNS1.MV-oc.Unisys.COM>
Subject: What's more disconcerting?
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.mv-oc.Unisys.COM
Date: 20 JUN 95 09:41
  This morning, while driving TINTIN, suddenly the crash box lives up to
its name and starts making a noise like a can full of nuts & bolts (How
appropriate!).  It's worst in first, less in second, even less in third,
and not perceptible in fourth.  Armchair diagnosis leads me to believe that
the front bearing of the laygear has gone to meet its maker.  I'm wondering
how long I can drive it like this...  Naturally, at the present time
we are in temporary quarters, having sold the house, and most of my
tools, jack stands, floor jack, etc. are in storage and inaccessible!
  On the other hand, as I finished my trip, the noise had considerably
diminished, so that it was no longer heard in third, barely in second,
and somewhat in first.  Tranny oil level is OK.
  What is also in storage is the steel second gear I bought on sale at
MOSS, against the day I'd have to operate....  GRRRRrrrrrrr!
  So what's more disconcerting, hearing a different noise, or having it
go away?

*Philippe Tusler - El Toro, CA           | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*