Re: MG TD Tools

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG TD Tools
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:03:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, Ed Burkett wrote:

> 1.  Am I correct in thinking that the nuts and bolts on the TD are Whitworth
> vice anything else (i.e., metric, British Standard, etc.)?

Most of the fittings on the chassis and body are British Standard Fine (BSF)
and British Standard Whitworth (BSW), with a few British Association (BA)
machine screws thrown in for good measure.  I've always gotten British
Standard fittings from Metric And Multistandard Componants Corporation,
but my last order was years ago and I don't have their current address
here at work.  You can also order from most BritCar parts vendors.

The engine and gearbox nuts and bolts have Whitworth heads, but the
threads are metric.  (If you really want to know why, ask, but it's a
long story).  These fittings are available only from the T-Type parts
vendors like Abingdon Spares and Moss Motors.

If your TD was built late in the TD production run, then the fittings in
the rear axle are Unified Standard, not British Standard.  The Unified
Standard is identical (for all practical purposes) to our own SAE standard.

So, you'll need at least a set of Whitworth or British Standard wrenches
and a set of British Association wrenches.  You'll find that some sets
are marked in Whitworth sizes, some in British Standard sizes.  The size
designations are different, but the actual wrench openings are
identical.  That's another long story...

If yours is a late TD, or if some unenlightened previous owner has
substituted SAE fittings for some of the original British Standard
fittings, then keep your SAE wrenches handy.  If the same UPO also
substituted standard metric fittings for any of the "Nuffield Mad
Metrics" in the engine or gearbox, you'll also need metric wrenches.

> 2.  If Whitworth, what is the best source for combination wrenches, sockets,
> etc.?

The absolute best you can get (in my opinion) are still made and sold by
Snap-On, one of the major suppliers of automotive tools.  There's
probably a Snap-On branch somewhere in your vicinity - they're
everywhere.  You can also order Whitworth or BS tools from the major
BritCar parts vendors.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.