CA smog loophole!

Subject: CA smog loophole!
From: Jerry Rau <jerry_rau@escalade.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 95 09:06:00 PDT
I found a loophole in the CA smog regulations that I hope might benefit
someone else. The regulation states  that all vehicles manufactured prior to
1966 are exempt from the need for smog certification.

After comparing the VIN number of my 66 MGB to the table which shows
calandar year VIN breakpoints in the MOSS catalog, I realized that my car
was actually manufactured in late 65. I brought this to DMV, and after 2
hours standing in 5 different lines, I am pleased to report that I was given
this year's registration stickers without producing a smog certificate!

The final clerk I spoke with did say something about having to send my case
up to a special bureau in Sacaramento for final verification, but I think
I'm clean on this loophole. I hope someone else can benefit from it.

 -jerry

rau@escalade.com